Organize It Now
 
 

Clothes Organizer

Clothes organizer can be achieved like this photoA clothes organizer project can be done with a little bit of effort, and once you get yourself organized, you can keep it that with even less effort. By putting things away when you are done, purging regularly and not adding more without taking something out, will keep your clothes organized.

Did you know that you wear 20 percent of your clothes 80 percent of the time? Sure, that's great and you think you know the 20 percent of clothes that you wear over and over again, but that doesn't mean that it makes it any easier to part with the remaining 80 percent.

There are several ways of to identify the 80 percent that you don't wear. Hang your clothes with hangers in the reverse direction. For the next six months, whenever you wear a piece of clothing from your closet, hang it back in the closet the correct way. After the six months is you have clothes still hanging back to front, you can then ask yourself, "Will you wear this article of clothing ever again?" This is a great starting point for your clothes organizer task.

Step 1 for Clothes Organizer: Know What You Have

Begin with your clothing drawers. Remove everything from the drawers. Then move to the closet, and do the same thing. Be sure to have a big area to do this task. Women, will need to include accessories too, such as scarves, handbags and belts. Men will need to include ties and belts also.

Step 2 for Clothes Organizer: Sort It All Out

Sort all of your clothes into logical groups. For example: put all hosiery and socks together, all accessories together and all t-shirts together. With clothing that is on hangers, sort it by use: business wear, fancy-dress, casual, etc.

Step 3 Clothes Organizer - The Purge

Decide upon every piece of clothing and put each item in one of thre piles: keep, toss and give away. You may need to try things on also. Ask yourself these questions for every piece of clothing:

  • Is it in good condition? If it is torn, stained, discoloured or shrunk, put it in the toss pile. Undergarments and socks that are ragged and have holes are for the toss pile.
  • Does it fit me? If no, it belongs in the giveaway pile (unless it is not in good condition, then toss it). Get rid of clothes that you hope you will get into again, someday. If it doesn't fit you today, then it's time to give it away or toss if it's not in good condition. When you get into the new size in the future, you will want to buy new cothing anyways.
  • Is it in style today? If you have a clothing item that is definitely outdated (like acid wash jeans from the 80’s), it belongs in either the give away or toss piles.
  • Do I wear it? If you don’t wear the piece of clothing, why are you keeping it? If you don't wear this type of clothing anymore or the color is wrong, put it in the giveaway pile. For example, if you have business suits, and your workplace doesn't require you to wear suits, keep one, and give the rest away.
  • Do I have more than I need? If you find yourself with four black skirts or five blue polo shirts, ask yourself if you really need that many. Pare down your underwear and socks as well. If you do your laundry weekly, you should not need more than 7 sets.

Once you are have finished your purge, go through your give away pile one more time. If you find items in this pile that has anything wrong with it, put it in the toss pile. Thrift stores spend a lot of money getting rid of clothing that other people can't use. You aren't helping them out, if you give them garbage; therefore, it's best for you to purge it yourself.

Step 4: Put It Back and Organize

Begin with the closet. Put back everything, grouping by function and season, hanging it properly. Put items that you wear the least in the back of the closet, such as "fancy" clothing which you may wear infrequently. The next section can be business clothes for the opposite season (if it's summer, your winter business clothes and vice versa).

Move on to your dresser drawers. Put your clothing away in logical places, making sure the upper drawers are for things you use every day. You may want to buy drawer dividers, or use old shoe boxes to keep the piles of clothing neat.

For alternate storage for clothing you where in the opposite season, such as storing sweaters during the summer, you can store them in boxes. If you need more space, use suitcases or storage boxes.

Maintain Your Clothes Organizer: When You Buy One, Remove One

This is a maintenance technique to prevent clothing from building up. As most people are not out growing clothing (hopefully), it is important to keep on top of maintaining the closet. A good way is when you buy something new, get rid of something else.

Clothes organizer - hire a professional organizer to help