The Certified Professional Organizer (CPO®)
The Board of Certification for Professional Organizers (BCPO) BCPO® facilitates professional organizers to voluntarily become a Certified Professional Organizer (CPO®). The certification process requires professional organizers to prove via an examination and client interaction that they possess a level of expertise. The intent of the certification is to recognize and raise industry standards, practices, and ethics.
As BCPO® recognizes the experienced organizer through certification and encourages to inspire organizers to provide excellent client services and continue to develop expertise in the transfer of higher-level organizing skills.
BCPO's mission is to advance the credibility and ethical standards of the professional organizing industry through credentialing.
CPO® Code of Ethics for Certified Professional Organizers®
BCPO® is committed to the highest ethical standards for all certificate holders, as reflected in the BCPO® Code of Ethics. Adherence to this Code of Ethics is required for the ongoing certification of all those who hold the Certified Professional Organizer® credential.
CPO must have documented proven set number of hours of paid work. Must take a number of continuing education courses. Must adhere to the code of ethics.
This Code of Ethics is a set of principles which govern the professional conduct of Certified Professional Organizers with clients, colleagues and community. Certified Professional Organizers pledge to exercise judgment, self-restraint and conscience in their conduct in order to establish and maintain public confidence in the integrity of the CPO® certificate and to preserve and encourage fair and equitable practices among all who are engaged in the profession of organizing.
- I will only offer professional organizing services in those areas in which I am qualified, and I will accurately represent those qualifications in all verbal and written communications.
- I will market my professional organizing services in a lawful and honest manner.
- I will respect and not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others.
- I will not use the proprietary materials or information of others without the owner's written permission.
- I will comply with all laws applicable to the operation of my business and my provision of professional organizing services, and I will not engage in any fraudulent or deceptive acts or practices.
- I will at all times endeavor to avoid situations in which my provision of professional organizing services to one client places me in a conflict of interest position with another client.
- I will respect a client's wishes with respect to confidential treatment of client information.
- I will use reasonable means to keep all client records and materials in my possession secure and confidential unless the client gives me written permission to make such records or materials public.
Fees and Services
- I will establish my fees in a manner which does not involve collusion with a competitor, and I will communicate my fee and expense structure to my clients in advance of beginning the provision of professional organizing services.
- I will only recommend products and/or services that my clients need or desire.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND AGREEMENT
As a condition of being awarded and maintaining status as a Certified Professional Organizer®, I voluntarily agree to be bound by and to abide by this Code of Ethics, the Ethics Complaint Procedure for Certified Professional Organizers®, the Bylaws of the Board of Certification for Professional Organizers (BCPO®), and any policies or procedures adopted by the Board of Directors of the BCPO®, as they are now written or may be amended in the future.
I will report to the Professional Practices Committee of the BCPO® my knowledge of an act or omission of another Certified Professional Organizer® in violation of this Code, or of any applicant for certification status in connection with such person's application. I agree to cooperate with the Professional Practices Committee in the investigation of alleged violations of this Code of Ethics.
I acknowledge and agree that, if found to be in violation of this Code, I am subject to the prescribed disciplinary sanctions of the BCPO®. I acknowledge that, in the event of suspension or revocation of my certified status, all rights and privileges of said certification would be terminated.
The above Code of Ethics is taken direct from the Certified Professional Organizer website.
Find a certified professional organizing member
in your area.
Organize It Now!